The Performance Measurement and Verification Analyst (PMVA) professional certification establishes the primary standard for individuals applying performance, measurement, and verification concepts to energy efficiency projects. PMVAs typically work in an analyst role for ESCOs, public administration, utilities, and financial institutions and are involved in designing and implementing energy efficiency programs and financing energy efficiency projects. They have demonstrated M&V capabilities, including a good understanding of applying the IPMVP to determine savings. PMVAs could be building technologists, HVAC specialists, engineers, architects, economists, financial analysts, etc.
NOTE: EVO’s PMVA CERTIFICATION is earned by demonstrated field M&V work achieved through a mix of M&V relevant education, professional expertise, and experiences.
- M&V Fundamentals and IPMVP
- The certification exam test reflects the following competencies:
- Knowledge and basic understanding/comprehension of the fundamental principles of M&V for individual energy efficiency projects and specifically the key concepts of the IPMVP.
- Understanding relevant statistical concepts and how they apply to M&V
- Understanding the IPMVP four Options and the essential elements/content of an M&V Plan
- Capacity to provide professional advice to energy efficiency program developers, utilities, governments, financial institutions, energy users, and other parties interested in M&V.
- The exam consists of multiple-choice questions. Before taking the exam, candidates have access to a series of knowledge-based questions on various M&V topics to test their acquired knowledge and to help them identify subjects/themes requiring further study and revision.
PMVA APPROVAL CRITERIA
- Take the M&V Fundamentals and IPMVP course and pass the exam with a mark of 70 % or higher. More than 15,000 individuals have already taken this course in the past decade. (Candidates must take the exam and file their PMVA application with EVO within three years of training.)
- Have successfully graduated college/university in engineering, architecture, economics, sustainability, finance, building technology, HVAC, or related (requires a copy of the diploma or other relevant credentials)
- Work in the field for at least two years – M&V, energy, energy efficiency, government, ESCO, utility, financial institution or related – should be advising/developing/implementing energy efficiency programs, energy projects, financing of energy projects, energy management, energy audits (provide contact details for reference and also a short description of duties)
- Complete the PMVA electronic application form on EVO’s website, upload information as required, and pay the certification fee.
- The PMVA certification is valid for 36 months from the date of inception.
PMVA RENEWAL CRITERIA – Mix of the following:
- Being employed in the field for the period of the certification (require start/end dates of employment and description of the duties. The duties should be the same or similar to the ones for initial PMVA approval)
- Teaching M&V, energy, EE, energy financing, etc. courses/webinars/masterclasses (should provide the title of the courses, dates when delivered, program/agenda showing they were the instructors, reference contact details)
- Prepare simple M&V plans or advise/be part of a team doing/reviewing M&V plans (names should be on the M&V plan; should provide the title of the M&V plan, when it was prepared or implemented – should be in the same renewal cycle, and contact details for reference)
- Speak at conferences on M&V relevant topics (should provide the title of the event, dates within the renewal cycle, programs showing they were the speaker/presentation)
- Trainee to relevant courses (provide a certificate of attendance within the renewal cycle)
- Author of published articles, papers (provide the title, date of publication, copy or link to the publication; names should be on the publication)
NOTE: If your government requires you to be IPMVP accredited, please make sure you apply for renewal 2-3 months before your certification is due to expire. Thus, it will not lapse, and you will have been continually accredited without interruption.